Today, St. Emmeram is the residence of the princes of Thurn und Taxis. Until 1810, however, it was a monastery. The basic structure of the old imperial ecclesiastical foundation has been preserved. Impressive ceremonial architecture combines with monastic asceticism in the cloister of this great Benedictine abbey.
The monastery was founded at the turn of the 7th to the 8th century, at the tomb of the Frankish bishop, Emmeram. For centuries it counted as one of the most important cultural institutions in Europe. As in the other large Benedictine monasteries along the Danube, Christian faith as well as art and science were cultivated here for 1200 years. With secularization of the imperial monastery in 1810, this splendid monastic tradition came to an abrupt end.
Between 1835 and 1841, Prince Maximilian Karl had a crypt chapel erected in the medieval cloister garden.
It is considered to be the most important Neo-Gothic princely mausoleum in the German-speaking world.
A figure of Christ, sculpted out of white Carrara marble by the southern German sculptor Johann Heinrich Dannecker, stands in the middle of the light-filled choir.
The imposing Benedict Portal in the northwestern corner of the north wing, one of the most beautiful High Gothic portals in Regensburg, once served as an entrance to the basilica for the abbots of the monastery. Since the transfer of the monastic buildings to the house of Thurn und Taxis in the year 1812, the princely family has entered the basilica of St. Emmeram through this portal.